Saturday, November 19, 2011

The small town rumor mill

I live in a tiny town in Hokkaido. It’s one of the smallest ones that I’ve heard of an ALT being placed in. My town has around 2,700 people. It’s pretty tiny and shrinking.

2011-10-22 Town 003

The fun about living in a small town is that everybody knows everything that is happening in your life (or think they do).

The other day I was having dinner with some friends in town and I was informed that I had a boyfriend. This was news to me. What happened that had suggested this to people in town???

I asked her why she thought this. Apparently I was seen walking with a guy in town, a foreign “young” guy. I pushed her for more information, she said it had been a few weeks ago and near the station.

That was a few weeks after I had bought my new car. I realized that my “new boyfriend” was the guy I had bought my car from and that he is probably 10 years my senior.

Well, we cleared that up among ourselves, but it makes me wonder what other random, crazy rumors are floating around my town based off of small things that have no basis in reality.

What’s the craziest rumor you’ve had flying around about you?