Friday, March 22, 2013

Photo Challenge Day 22 & World Water Day

March 22: Rule of Thirds/World Water Day 2013

2013-03-22 2013-03-22 Sobetsukai 020

This is me filling up a water bottle, with water that is clean and so simply comes from my sink. I don’t have to worry about going long distances to get water, or getting sick from the water I can get.

Unfortunately, that’s not the case for a large part of the world's population. 20,000 people die everyday from diarrhoea everyday – something people rarely die from in the part of the world where we live. Since 1990, 523 million people have gained access to clean water. (Information from this article).


Why is it that where one is born controls so much of this? When we have so much extra why aren’t we making choices to help those who are stuck with this reality everyday?

If you’re interested in being a part of the solution, water.org, Compassion International and World Vision all have programs intended to help end the problem of access to clean water and sanitation for people in these places.

*  *  *  *  *

Today was the last day of school for the school year. School was short and simple today. Cleaning time, closing ceremony and a ceremony announcing which teachers were leaving and a chance for the students to say goodbye.

One of the more hilarious moments today was when we were waiting for the closing ceremony to begin. My JTE and one of the other teachers were talking. I glance over in time to see the other teacher lift the leg of his pants to show my JTE that he had “tights” (like leggings) on underneath his suit pants. My JTE lifts up his pants leg to show that he has hairy legs that keep him warm. The other teacher looks at me and says “natural tights.”

After all the ceremonies were over, I went out for lunch with my two JTEs and one of the teachers who was leaving. It was a lot of fun to get to chat and just hang out with these people I work with everyday.

Of course, the day ended with the Sobetsukai (Farewell Party) for the teachers who are leaving – 2 teachers, the office manager (like a head secretary at an American school, and the principal (he’s retiring).

2013-03-22 2013-03-22 Sobetsukai 009