Saturday, March 9, 2013

Photo Challenge Day 9

March 9: Sweet Tooth

2013-03-09 13.46.56

This was the dessert we got after our delicious lunch. I had tea and some kind of pound cake.

*  *  *  *  *

Today I spent the day boarding with friends in Tomamu. I’m getting so much more confident with my turns, I started doing turns on the steeper bits of the hill and faster on the lower bits.

Of course, going faster sometimes means falling a bit more. I was trying to catch up to a friend who had fallen down and managed to catch my board on another friend’s board. I tipped, and was still moving as I fell.  I don’t know how it happened, but suddenly I found myself sliding down the hill head first, body just following a long as though I was on a slide. The whole thing didn’t hurt at all and was more funny than anything else. I finally managed to stop by spreading my limbs out and hoping the surface area would slow me down. It did. (Mom, dad and grandma: It was a bit of a surprise, but I was fine and I had my helmet on) 

We had lunch in a cute little café near the hill. It turned out, my students’ parents were working in the café.

2013-03-09 13.17.18

We boarded and boarded until almost 5:30, when everyone had plans in different directions.

On our second to last run of the day, I captured this:

2013-03-09 17.02.56

After our boarding adventures finished, I headed back to town, to put on dry clothes, and head out to the earthquake tribute my town was having. I met up with a couple of other friends there.
They lit up one of the runs on the ski hill with a kanji. I’m not sure of the reading, I had it explained really well to me last year. But it seems to mean bond, emotional tie, a relationship or connection.

2013-03-09 311 tribute 005

After that they set off the fireworks.

2013-03-09 311 tribute 027

This is how my tiny town, does a tribute to the victims of the Tohoku Earthquake.

2013-03-09 311 tribute 031

All in all, it was a fun filled day with a few different sets of friends.